Subscribe to my full feed.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Biking Techniques (Part 47)

Rain is FUN!

But the real secret to riding fast in the rain is simple: enjoy it!

Riding fast in the rain gives you a unique opportunity to examine the dynamics of riding the bike. The tires' response time is slower, you have to take more time over your actions, and the overall effect is of riding in slow motion. You have more time to think about what you're doing, observe how the bike reacts, feel what's happening. You can learn more by riding on a wet track about bike-handling skills than you can in the dry.

If that doesn't thrill you, find something else to enjoy. I used to love watching the way the front tire on my Intruder threw up a line of spray, especially when it was illuminated by the headlamp at night. I love the sound of rain on the helmet. I love the way I can so easily see through my Rain-X'd visor when the cars around me are peering through ineffective high-speed wipers. I love watching the spray thrown up from the bike ahead of me. All these are things that adjust my attitude to riding in the rain, give me something to enjoy so I can relax and concentrate on riding.

But heck, I also love watching snowflakes in the airflow around the front of the bike, so maybe I'm just crazy...

From TrackDoD Novice Group Orientation

No comments: